13 September, 2015
Appe payasa is a famous sweet delicacy from Karnataka. It’s a kind of kheer made using very fine quality semolina which is recognized as chiroti rava (cream of wheat) and is often prepared during big festivals / functions. I use only chiroti rava in this preparation but many people add a small quantity of maida also or with only maida as well. No doubt it is almost everyone’s favourite, at least at my place everyone likes it. I insist try it once and you’ll definitely get tempted to make it again and again.
- Chiroti Rava/ fine Semolina – 1 cup
- Table Salt – A pinch
- Water to knead the dough
- Milk – 1 ltr boiled
- Sugar – 3/4 cup or adjust according to taste
- Saffron strands – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 20 (chopped)
- Raisins – 2 tbsp
- Almonds – 10 (chopped)
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mix chiroti rava n salt and knead a soft and stiff dough using enough water.
- Dough should be of chapati dough consistency.
- Keep it aside covered for 2-3 hours.
- Pinch a portion of the dough and roll it into small sized thin poori and deep fry
- Meanwhile add sugar n Saffron strands to warm milk n stir well so that sugar gets fully dissolved.
- Crush/break all the pooris into small pieces and add it to the milk .
- Heat ghee .. add cashews, raisins n almonds n pour it over crushed pooris in milk
- Add Cardamom powder n…. keep it covered for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Appe payasa is ready to serve.