27 September, 2015
LEMON PICKLE/NIMBE UPPINAKAYI
Juicy, acidic, yet flavorful…. lemon is one of the most widely used citrus fruits worldwide. Lemons are packed with numerous health benefiting nutrients. The fruit is less in calories, they contain zero saturated fats or cholesterol, but are good source of dietary fiber. Lemon is one of the very low glycemic fruits. Everybody would like to eat Lemon pickle and also usage of lemon in winter is good for health. We keep lemon pickle almost through out the year and it tastes best with curd rice.
- Medium sized Lemon -25 nos.,
- Big Lemon – 4 to 5
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1/2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 100 gms
- Turmeric Powder -1 tsp
- Asafoetida -1/2 tsp
- Salt – 9 or 10 tbsp
- Wash and wipe well 25 lemons and cut into eight pieces
- Squeeze juice out of 4 to 5 big lemons
- Add salt and squeezed lemon juice to cut lemon…mix well with a dry spatula
- Roast fenugreek seeds well
- Roast mustard seeds till warm
- Warm red chilli powder as well
- Powder together fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, and add red chilli powder, turmeric and asafoetida grind it again, to get everything mixed well
- Now mix this powder into the cut Lemons
- Store in a dry jar.
- For 3 to 4 days mix it again thoroughly.. once in a day with a dry spatula..
- Then it can be consumed