10 October, 2015
GOJJINA PUDI / TANGY CURRY MASALA
This is a kind of south Indian style masala powder which is used to prepare a gravy/curry called as ‘gojju’ in Kannada, with many types of vegetables. The gojju/curry tastes sweet, spicy and tangy. It’s an accompaniment with rice, chapati, poori, rotti (rice thalipeeth) etc. Most famous gojju are bendekayi (ladies finger) gojju, haagalakayi (bitter gourd) gojju, badanekayi (brinjal) gojju, eerulli (onion) gojju etc. Other than vegetables we also make gojju using Pulses like cow peas, green gram etc and herbs like fenugreek seeds, curry leaves etc. We also use dry fruits and fresh fruits to make gojju. We always keep this curry/gojju masala powder ready stored in our kitchen. So below is my method of making curry/gojju masala powder recipe, which I learnt from my mother.
You may also like to check saaru/rasam powder , Palyada Pudi , authentic chutney powder , Huruli chutney powder , curry leaves chutney powder , black sesame chutney powder , kharabath powder , Bisibelebath powder , menthyada hittu , Huli Pudi/Sambar Powder
- Coriander seeds – ¾ cup
- Bengal gram – 1/3 cup
- Black gram – ¼ cup (without skin)
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds -1 ¼ tsp
- Red chillies – Byadigi – 30 gms, Guntur – 20 gms
- Grated dry coconut – ½ cup
- Black Pepper corn – ½ tbsp.
- Curry leaves – 1 fist full
- Asafoetida – Half of ¼ tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tbsp.
- Roast all the above ingredients one by one on a medium flame
- Use few drops of oil while roasting Red chillies
- Let it cool for some time , then powder it
- Again allow it to cool completely and store in a air tight container