14 October, 2015
SWEET POTATO/SHAKARKAND SUBJI/SIHI GENESINA PALYA
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A ,in the form of beta-carotene. They are also a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B 1, vitamin B 2, and phosphorus. This is one of the south Indian method of making sweet potato subji/ palya. Though sweet potatoes have got more grams of natural sugars than regular potato but it has got overall more nutrients with fewer calories. They have got loads of fiber, vitamin A and Potassium. Studies shows increased consumption of plant foods like sweet potatoes decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes & heart disease etc while promoting a healthy complexion, increased energy and overall lower weight. We get plenty of sweet potatoes in the market during winter season.
- Sweet potato – 2 big
- Ghee – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Grated dry coconut – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt to taste
- Wash the sweet potatoes and cook till soft
- Peel the skin and cut into cubes
- Heat ghee and add cumin seeds, pepper powder, curry leaves and coconut and saute for a while
- Add cooked sweet potato cubes and salt
- Combine everything well.