10 December, 2015
MIXED VEGETABLE KOOTU /CURRY
Kootu is a kind of curry / sambar made using many vegetables and freshly ground spices. Its an authentic dish from South India. The spices and their quantity differ form state to state, but everybody uses many vegetable in it for sure. It is eaten with rice.
For grinding masala:
- Coriander seeds – 2 ½ tbsp.
- Black gram (Urad dal) – 2 tbsp
- Black pepper corns – ½ tbsp.
- Grated dry coconut or fresh coconut – 1/3 cup
- Red chilli – Byadigi (for color) – 6, Guntur (hot) – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1 ½ to 2 inches
- Curry leaves – 10 – 15 leaves
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Dry roast everything and powder it
- If you want to store the prepared powder, then use dry coconut
- For the same day usage fresh coconut can be used
For making Kootu:
- Wash , cut & cook all the vegetables like french beans, potato, yam, white pumpkin, cabbage, Carrot, green peas etc. ie 1/4 cup of each
- Add 1/2 cup of cooked toor dal ( arahar dal)
- Add ground masala, 1 tbsp of tamarind pulp and salt to taste
- Temper it with 1/2 tbsp ghee, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds & few curry leaves