11 November, 2016
WHEAT FLOUR BENNE BISCUIT / NANKHATAI
After a long gap I’m baking something ! And it was very simple to make with only three Ingredients, turned out yummy…. so happily sharing the recipe with you all. In north India it is famous as “NanKhatai”… In Karnataka we call it as “Benne Biscuit” .. where Benne stands for Butter , But no butter is used in this recipe. Some use ghee and some use oil. But because of its soft and melt in mouth feature it has got that name benne biscuit… I suppose. In Bangalore Iyengar bakery benne biscuit is very famous.
The original recipe was made with Maida, but I tried it with whole wheat flour. Thank you Mrs. Savitha AK for the recipe.
I made it in two batches of 1 cup each.
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup (Put through a sieve to get finer flour)
- Powdered Sugar – 1/4 to 1/3 cup
- Oil – little more than 1/4 cup
- Salt a pinch
- Mix whole wheat flour, powdered sugar and salt and combine the mixture well
- Add oil little at a time and form the dough
- No need to knead
- Make equal portions and give it a shape by rolling and pressing between the palms
- Bake it in Convection mode @ 200 degree for 14 to 16 minutes ( baking duration may vary from oven to oven)
- Benne Biscuit is ready to relish