17 January, 2017
KARNATAKA STYLE TRADITIONAL RICE+LENTIL UTTAPA / UTTAPAM
This is also made by preparing soaked, ground & fermented rice + lentil batter, almost like any other traditional Dosay of Karnataka like set dosay, plain dosay, masala dosay etc. I have already posted the recipe of instant Semiya Uttapa, set dosay, Masala dosay etc, and yet to post Plain dosay recipe, because it is a regular breakfast dish, I haven’t taken pics and posted it here. I shall do it shortly. Today I’m going to share Uttapa made using different vegetables. Now a days we get Non stick Uttapa tawa having 4 or 7 cavity…..so we can make so many uttapa using various vegetables or mixed vegetables at a time. No need to worry if we don’t have that tawa , we can make uttapa in our regular dosay tawa also , we just need to see that, not to spread the batter much like Plain or Masala dosay.
Below is my way of making Uttapa, though with the same basic ingredients but with different proportions. I don’t use either beaten rice or fenugreek seeds while making Uttapa batter.
- Rice – 1 cup (I use sona masoori rice)
- Black lentil / urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Oil to roast dosay
- Chopped vegetables like…Onion, tomato, broccoli, capsicum, grated carrot etc (if you are using vegetables like french beans, potato, cabbage, beetroot etc, it should be blanched before using)
- Wash and soak rice and lentil for 8 hours in enough water
- Drain all the water and grind it into a smooth batter using required amount of water & salt ( the batter should be little thicker than the regular Plain dosay batter)
- Ferment it for 8 to 10 hours
- Heat regular dosay tawa, pour a laddle full of batter, but do not spread it too thin, immediately sprinkle chopped vegetable, smear it with little oil
- If you are using this new uttapa tawa, then you need to pour lesser amount of batter in each cavity
- Cook on both the sides and serve with any chutney