31 January, 2017
HERALEKAAYI / CITRON LIME PICKLE
Citron lime also known as rough lime is a member of citrus fruit family. It is called as “Heralekaayi” in Kannada and “Nartanga” in Hindi. It is used in many ways ie… to make pickle, tangy curry, citron lemon rice, juice etc. It is grown in India, Nepal, Indonesia, Malaysia and other south east Asian countries. In India it is widely grown in Southern part and grows on any kind of soil. It is much bigger than Lime with a rough dark green outer layer and it is both bitter and sour in taste. It is rich in Vitamin C, It is great anti oxidant value, It also exhibits antibiotic, anti inflammatory & pain relieving properties. Overall it is loaded with healthy goodness.
Unlike other pickles, we use only salt and red chilli powder while making this pickle, the fruit is very juicy, sour and bitter as well. Personally we like citron lime Pickle very much. Just like any other pickle we should use clean and dry container, spoon or spatula and don’t forget to stir it once in a day without fail for at least 12 to 15 days.
- Citron Lime/Heralekaayi – 4 medium sized
- Salt – 3 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 to 2&1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Wash and wipe the citron lime very well, and cut it into cubes of desired size
- Put salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well
- If you are making it in large quantity, then put layers of salt, citron, red chilli powder & turmeric, so that it gets combined well
- When the pickle is ready after 12 to 15 days, take small quantity of pickle into another container and temper it with little oil, mustard seeds and hing