26 February, 2017
MENTHYA SOPPU+KADALEBEEJA UPPITTU/FENUGREEK LEAVES+PEANUT UPMA/METHI+MOONGPHALI UPMA
I learnt this recipe (adding peanuts to Upma) from my Sis-in-law Ms. Sandhya Jagannath and I guess….she learnt this recipe from one of her friend Ms. Vijaya. And since this winter has started I was planning to make Uppittu/Upma by adding fenugreek leaves/Menthya soppu and decided to put both the things together… So finally I made it and the outcome is WOW!! So…. happily sharing the recipe with you all, explained with step wise pictures.
- You can add about 1/2 cup of grated fresh coconut, but it is optional.
- You can use red chilli powder in place of Vangi bath powder (palyada Pudi)
- By adding ghee into the boiling water, upma cooks softly and gets nice aroma
- Don’t forget to keep the flame on low while semolina/sooji/rave is getting cooked.
- You can search for the recipe of Vangibath powder/Palyada Pudi in my blog.
- Semolina/Rave – 1 cup
- Fenugreek leaves – 1 cup (chopped)
- Peanuts – 1/3 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- Black gram – 1/2 tbsp
- Green chilli – 2 to 4 OR as per taste
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Vangibath powder (palyada pudi) – 1 or 2 tsp (adjust)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water – 2&1/2 to 3 cups
- Roast semolina/sooji/rave till golden and nice aroma comes, on low flame and keep it aside
- Heat Oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, Bengal gram, Black gram, Peanuts and saute till it becomes crisp
- Add curry leaves, Chopped green chillies, coriander leaves and chopped methi, fry till raw smell goes……Now add water and salt and let it come to boil
- Now add turmeric powder, vangibath powder (Palyada Pudi) and ghee and now turn the flame to slow
- Now slowly add roasted semolina while stirring continuously
- Cover the pan and allow it to cook on slow flame till all the water evaporates and Rava gets cooked well (see the pic below)
- Stir everything well, turn off the flame, cover it and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Fenugreek leaves+peanut Uppittu/Upma is ready to serve