4 June, 2017
The basic ingredients used to prepare mosaranna/curd rice is the same ie…… softly cooked white rice, curd and milk. But the tempering we put differs from place to place and person to person. Tempering can be made in the following combinations.
Ghee + mustard seeds + green chilli + curry leaves OR Ghee + mustard seeds + cumin seeds + green chilli + red chilli + curry leaves OR Ghee + mustard seeds + cumin seeds + green chilli + red chilli + ginger + curry leaves OR Ghee + mustard seeds + cumin seeds + urad dal + green chilli + red chilli + coriander leaves + curry leaves + hing OR Ghee + mustard seeds + cumin seeds + black pepper corns etc
In addition to all these some times cashew nuts are added, or sometimes both cashews & Raisins are added, or sometimes green grapes are added or sometimes pomegranate seeds are added etc. And many a times rice is cooked using equal amount of milk and water, instead of only water. It can also be cooked using only milk. The basic taste differs in different method.
But whichever way you make it, curd rice is a soulful food to eat on any day any time.
You may also like to check vermicelli curd bath
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Curd 3/4 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Whole red chilli – 2
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Salt to taste
- Prepare tempering using ghee, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chilli, red chilli and curry leaves and keep it aside
- Take cooked rice in a big bowl, mash it a little with your hands or using masher
- Pour tempering over mashed rice, add in milk, curd and salt
- Check for the consistency, if needed add some more curd and milk
- Combine everything well and serve