4 September, 2017
Happy Onam to All….
Onam is the harvest festival of Kerala. It is believed that the festival is celebrated to welcome King Mahabali, whose spirit is said to visit Kerala during Onam. Actually Onam lasts from four to ten days. Very first day Atham and the tenth day, Thiruonam are the most important of all. Vallamkali, the snake boat race, held on the river Pampa, Onakalikal the energetic games, folk songs, elegant dances, decorated elephants, Pookalam… intricately designed flower rangoli, elaborate feasts ie… the most impressive part of Onam celebration is the grand feast called Onasadya prepared on Thiruonam are the main attractions of this festival.
Today I’m going to share recipes of few dishes which I have tried out from their Onam sadya spread, which is a nine course meal consisting of 11 to 13 essential dishes and which is served on banana leaves, like we also do in Karnataka. I must say all are totally delectable, delicious, yummy and delightful dishes. I would like to try all their recipes one by one.
- Kootu curry ⇒ Bengal gram lentil sambar by adding raw banana and elephant Yam
- Rasam ⇒ Tomato-Lentil soup with mildly added spices
- Pineapple Pulissery ⇒ A curd based, spicy pineapple curry… I enjoyed it thoroughly
- Kadalaparippu Payasam ⇒ Bengal gram lentil payasa/Kheer, cooked in coconut milk
- Lemon Pickle ⇒ Spicy lemon pickle with the goodness of fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds along with Lemon
- Curry leaves chutney powder ⇒ an authentic preparation with the usage of lot of Curry leaves