26 October, 2017
INSTANT CHOCOLATE IDLY….which can be prepared in minutes !
Some time back I had tried making chocolate sheera using semolina and named it as semolina choco-bath. It was a huge hit at my place as we all like chocolates and anything/everything which is chocolate flavored. Very recently one of my friend in a WhatsApp group, mentioned about some Idlys restaurant in Bangalore, located somewhere in Jayanagar 3rd block, makes chocolate Idly and banana coconut Idly. Suddenly somehow it reminded me of my semolina choco-bath recipe and I thought why don’t I try making idly with the same set of ingredients which I have used for making semolina choco-bath. And I started preparing for the recipe, as it is an instant version, I just did make couple of additions to the ingredients which I had used to make semolina choco-bath. That’s it …..truly soft, light, spongy, yummy, delicious chocolate idly’s were ready in minutes ! You need to make it to believe it…that’s all I can say. Next I will try adding in walnuts or almonds, which I have used in semolina choco-bath as well. The below mentioned measurement yields 5 idly’s.
And by now you could have guessed about my next recipe post… Yes you are right…. it is definitely banana coconut Idly !
You may also like to check stuffed Idly , Idly with dill leaves , Idly-Sambar , avalakki Idly , ragi idly , vermicelli Idly , rave Idly(fermented) , maize flour Idly , Sabbakki/Sago Idly , Idly with three ingredients , banana coconut idly , Vegetable Idly
- Semolina/sooji/rave – 1/2 cup (upma rava)
- Warm milk – 1/4 cup
- Curd – 1/3 cup
- Powdered sugar – 2 tbsp (I have used brown sugar)
- Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Choco-chip – 2 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp (next time I’m planning to skip this)
- Choco chip – to sprinkle on the Idly
- Chocolate syrup – to pour on the Idly
- Mix milk & curd in a bowl and beat it for a while to get it evenly mixed
- Now gather semolina, powdered sugar, salt, cocoa powder, ghee, oil, choco chip and baking powder in a bowl and combine everything
- Now add in milk-curd mixture and mix everything well
- Wet the Idly plates (I never grease the idly plates) and pour the batter
- Steam it for 12 minutes, remove from the fire and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Then remove the chocolate Idly’s and put it in a serving plate
- Pour some chocolate syrup and sprinkle choco chip on it and serve hot
I have also tried making chocolate idly with the regular fermented semolina/sooji/rava/rave idly batter, I have just added 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder & 1 tbsp choco chip to 1/2 cup of fermented Idly batter, mixed well, poured into the wet idly plates and steamed it for 12 minutes and 1/2 cup of batter yields 2 Idlys. No doubt it also tastes yummy, but that black gram/urad dal smell and taste will be there definitely.